The Library Clerk - Circulation performs all aspects of library service in the circulation department with duties regarding general circulation duties and patron assistance, including processing incoming and outgoing cargo. Follows procedures set by the Library Director in regards to Library Board of Trustees' policies.
Library Clerk - Circulation
Location: Greenwich Library
Apply to: firstname.lastname@example.org Please send a cover letter stating why you are suited to this position with a resume including three references. Position open until filled, resumes submitted before September 30, 2022 will be given first consideration.
Compensation: $9.90/hr 20 hours per week
Department: Public Services
Reports to: Greenwich Branch Manager
Description: The Library Clerk - Circulation performs all aspects of library service in the circulation department with duties regarding general circulation duties and patron assistance, including processing incoming and outgoing cargo. Follows procedures set by the Library Director in regards to Library Board of Trustee’s policies.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Perform all circulation services at the branch library, including but not limited to material charge and discharge, reserves, overdues, basic patron assistance, and branch loans.
- Handle phone inquiries, renewals, and equipment sign-up.
- Assist with loaning of materials to other libraries and schools.
- See that the “Rules and Regulations for Public Behavior” are followed in the by patrons in the absence of a senior supervisor.
- Operate library equipment, including facsimile machines, copiers, computers, etc.
- Attend staff meetings as called by the Library Director or Branch Librarian.
- Attend NORWELD, OLC, and other professional meetings, workshops, and conferences.
- Publicly support the Library Board of Trustees, the Library Director, and library policies.
- Promote a positive image of the library.
- Perform additional duties as assigned by the Branch Manager or Library Director.
Library Wide Standards:
- Demonstrates initiative, is a self-starter.
- Demonstrates ability to focus on details.
- Actively cooperates and works effectively with others, promotes teamwork, shares information, and works to resolve conflicts, as appropriate.
- Adheres to Library policies, procedures and standard practices.
- Behaves in a professional manner.
- Demonstrates ability to organize work and to carry through established procedures. Performs duties in a courteous and friendly manner.
- Have reliable transportation to agencies within and outside of the library system.
- Ability to develop good rapport with library patrons.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to effectively use computers, electronic databases and other technology as required.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment, such as copiers and fax machines.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment, reliability, and maintain confidential integrity as required.
- Possesses strong communication and public relations skills.
- Ability to maintain a close working relationship with library employees.
- Ability to handle a frequently fast-paced position with numerous interruptions.
- Physical stamina is required to rearrange furniture and put away materials, and to push and pull loaded book carts and other library equipment and materials. Physical activity includes, but is not limited to, prolonged periods of sitting, as well as periods of standing, mobility, stretching, bending and stooping.
Minimum Experience and Training:
High school graduate or equivalent; competency with computers.
Additional Qualifications Preferred:
Previous library work experience; work experience with an automated library system and other technologies; evidence of continued interest in the field of library work.